Dong Hoon Shin MD, PhD, MS. Lab of Bioanthropology, Paleopathology and History of Diseases, Department of Anatomy/Institute of Forensic Science, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 103 Daehak-ro (Yongon-dong), Jongno-gu, Seoul 03080, South Korea. E-mail: email@example.com(DH Shin); TEL: +82-2-740-8203
World Mummy Congress: the Program
Aug 10, 2016
Age estimation in mummies
Aug 10, 2016
Host-parasite relationships and diseases: lessons from the past
Aug 11, 2016
Ancient Bodies: the interplay between ancient culture, spiritual beliefs and mummification
Aug 11, 2016
Mummies and Textiles
Aug 12, 2016
From autopsy to diagnostic imaging and metagenomics, guidelines, levels of evidence and medical data
Korean Association of Paleopathology and Osteoarchaeology (S Korea) and Japanese Association of Paleopathology will hold the Korea-Japan Paleopathology Forum on October, 2017.
Venue: Tokyo (University of Tokyo)
1. Eun Jin Woo, Hyunwoo Jung, Sunyoung Pak (Yonsei University College of Dentstry): Paleopathological study of a probablecase of treponematosis in a Joseon dynasty population.
2. Hiroshi Iijima, Shinji Harihara, Hitoshi Sumi, Kageyasu Takanashi, Yumi Ueda, Hata Junpei, Yohei Ishizawa, Lim Chun Ren, Ryo Matoba: DNA extaraction from ancient cremated bones using non-powdering sample pre-treatment method.
3. Jong Ha Hong, Chang Seok Oh, Min Seo, Dong Hoon Shin (Seoul National University): DNA Sequences of 18s rRNA and ITS2 genes obtained from ancient Trichuris trichiura eggs remained in Joseon Dynasty mummy coprolites.
4. Manabu Uetsuki: Horses in medieval Japan: paleopathological evidence of various usage.
5. Chang Seok Oh, Jong Ha Hong, Hye…
National Geographic News: Ancient Indus Valley Civilization Cemetery Unearthed in India
Our study of Rakhigarhi site, India is reported by National Geographic News. Excerpt:
February 21, 2018 - Archaeologists unearthed skeletons and pottery in an ancient cemetery near Haryana, India. The burial ground is believed to have belonged to the Indus Valley civilization, a Bronze Age civilization that once spanned an area greater than ancient Egypt. The site is located at Rakhigarhi, one of the largest cities of the Indus civilization. 46 partial and complete skeletons were found—some buried on beds of pottery, possibly denoting high-ranking members of the society. Researchers are hoping to DNA test the remains to confirm their origin-.
We held our session in 2018 Indopacific Prehistory Association (IPPA) congress. We already had our paleopathology session in previous 2014 IPPA meeting (“Recent Progress in Paleopathology of Asia” session). This session was the update of our paleopathological studies in Asia Pacific region.
Organizers: Drs. Hisashi Fujita (Niigata College of Nursing, Japan) and Dong Hoon Shin (Seoul National University, South Korea)
Session Title: Recent Progress in Paleopathology of Asia
Abstract: Recently, paleopathology has been established in Asia as the indispensable research for revealing ancient people’s health and disease status by studies on the tissues remnant in archaeologically obtained biological specimens. B…